Laura Creemers, PhD
Working side-by-side with clinicians
Dr Creemers studied one year Biology in Utrecht and subsequently Biomedical Sciences in Leiden. After obtaining her master’s degree, she has worked in several research areas, including spermatogenic stem cells, (periodontal) ligament, tendon and bone. Since 2005 her focus is on cartilage and intervertebral disc (IVD) research with a special interest in biomaterials-based local delivery approaches for regeneration and treatment of inflammation. She has in the past years been involved in several projects on local drug delivery, including BMM IDiDAS (PI) targeting disc degeneration and BMM-OAcontrol on osteoarthritis.
In the ongoing projects, biomaterial-based delivery for inhibition of degeneration and stimulation of regeneration of the IVD and articular cartilage includes small molecules, proteins, peptides and nucleic acids, with delivery of anti-inflammatory mediators in osteoarthritis and intervertebral disc degeneration most close to clinical translation. Carriers vary from hydrogels and microparticles to nanoparticles. Research is done both in vitro and in in vivo models, ranging from rat to large animals, the latter in close collaboration with the dept of Companion Animals at the Fac Veterinary Medicine. Readouts include regular microscopy and biochemistry, pharmacokinetics, mass spectrometry imaging and in vivo imaging.
Pubmed search: Creemers LB
- Applicability of a Newly Developed Bioassay for Determining Bioactivity of Anti-Inflammatory Compounds in Release Studies – Celecoxib and Triamcinolone Acetonide Released from Novel PLGA-Based Microspheres. Yang HY, van Dijk M, Licht R, Beekhuizen M, van Rijen M, Janstål MK, Oner FC, Dhert WJ, Schumann D, Creemers LB . Pharm Res. 2015 Feb;32(2):680-90.
- A novel injectable thermoresponsive and cytocompatible gel of poly (N-isopropylacrylamide) with layered double hydroxides facilitates siRNA delivery into chondrocytes in 3D culture. Yang HY, van Ee R, Timmer K, Craenmehr EGM, Huang JH, Öner FC, Dhert WJA, Kragten AHM, Willems N, Grinwis G, Tryfonidou MA, Papen-Botterhuis NE, Creemers LB. Acta Biomaterialia 2015 Sep 1;23:214-28
- Biocompatibility and intradiscal application of a thermoreversible celecoxib-loaded poly-N-isopropylacrylamide MgFe-layered double hydroxide hydrogel in a canine model. Willems N, Yang HY, Langelaan ML, Tellegen AR, Grinwis GC, Kranenburg HJ, Riemers FM, Plomp SG, Craenmehr EG, Dhert WJ, Papen-Botterhuis NE, Meij BP, Creemers LB/ Tryfonidou MA. Arthr Res Ther 2015 Aug 20;17(1):214.
- Cytokine profiles in the joint depend on pathology, but are different between synovial fluid, cartilage tissue and cultured chondrocytes. Tsuchida AI, Beekhuizen M, T Hart MC, Radstake T, Dhert W, Saris D, van Osch G, Creemers LB. Arthritis Res Ther. 2014 Sep 26;16(5):441.
- Increased MMP-2 activity during intervertebral disc degeneration is correlated to MMP-14 levels. Rutges J, Kummer J, Oner F, Verbout A, Castelein R, Roestenburg H, Dhert W, Creemers L. J Pathol. 2008;214(4):523-30.
Laura Creemers, PhD
Regenerative Medicine Center, UMC Utrecht,
Mailing address for correspondence and packages:
3584 CT Utrecht